We’re stuck in a rut when it comes to technology and social media innovation according to Alexis Madrigal’s blog over at the Atlantic. He argues that we keep relying on the same old same old. Take for instance Pinterest. At first glance a great idea but, he says, dig a little deeper and it becomes clear it’s just another photo sharing site.
But for marketers this is not a situation to lament, it’s one to be excited about. Because following Alexis’ argument, if the platforms have become so well established and the technology so firmly embedded, it means they have finally reached the maturity necessary to be of real use to the businesses we as marketers work for.
If the technology is in a period of relative stability, as marketers there’s less room to be distracted by the newest, coolest platform, that will deliver headlines but few business results. Instead the challenge for marketers becomes about the content that needs to be developed and delivered across mature, reliable, mass platforms in order to build meaningful long-term relationships with customers that delivers significant business wins. It’s powerful stuff.
Check out Alex’s full post “The Jig Is Up: Time to Get Past Facebook and Invent a New Future” it’s worth the read.
- B2B Marketing
- Brand Strategy
- Consumer Behaviour
- Content Marketing
- Content Strategy
- Customer Experience
- Digital Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Financial Marketing
- Healthcare Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Organizational Design
- Social Media Marketing
- Strategic Marketing
- Thought Leadership
- White Papers
- Diagnosing the patient journey
- 10 marketing trends to watch for in 2013
- Why your B2B sales and marketing strategies are losing you customers - and how you can fix them
- Political campaigns and email marketing: what can we learn?
- Rediscover relevancy in B2B marketing
- Context – Empathy – Experience: Confab goes customer
- When to talk to your customers in an omnichannel world: How to reach your customers when they have a need, and on their terms. Download now.
- Suffering from premachurn™? How to fix onboarding, keep customers, and get more from your marketing dollars. Download now.
- Content changes everything: A model to transform your customer relationships and your organization. Download now.
- 5 ways to drive in-store sales with email. Download now.